Better profile photo: 5 amazing killer tips
Let’s face it, a better profile photo is what we all need. Most of us don’t like to be in front of the camera, but we all need a good photo for your business. A first great impression doing business is the key.
I can help you to create a better profile photo. As a photographer I see so many iPhone selfies that don’t reflect the person at its best. A great LinkedIn, Facebook and instagram profile photo have become more and more important. A lot of clients tell me before their shoot that they hate to have their photo taken. We all need the result a great headshot image to use for our business or just a beautiful image of yourself.
The use of it is enormous, you can use it on websites, social media, email signatures, online profile photos or simply keep one as a stunning portrait of yourself.
Let me share my experience with creating headshots for my clients and share 5 killer tips for a better profile photo with you. Exactly what you wear will depend on the shot i.e. business vs casual, fun vs serious. Nevertheless, wearing a favorite item simply feels good and this is another key to great headshots.
How to get a better profile photo:
- Wear something representing you– For a better profile photo: Choose outfits for your photo shoot that represent who you are. It will depend of the usage of your profile photo. Do you need it for business, do you wear a business suit or more casual. Wear something you feel comfortable in, once you feel good in your clothes you portrait that in your headshot image too.
- Go with your branding– Think about the branding of your business. What are the colours of your business logo, what mood do you want to show, fun and smiling, or maybe more serious? Dark background versus a lighter background that goes well with your business logo and branding.
- Chin forward and down– I always tell my clients, it feels weird but looks amazing.. Chin forward and slightly down. It works amazing for any portrait and great for business headshots. Once you do that you create great jawlines and you will remove any double chin in a quick and easy way. A subtle change forward and down improves your headshot photographs amazingly.
- Don’t go crazy with make up-
Be yourself. Don’t go crazy with make up and hair. Make sure you are yourself. Yes, lots can be done with retouching. Our great studio lights make you glow and often clients tell me ‘ you have photoshopped out wrinkles’ .. I can, but I won’t do it unless you tell me. Our lights wrap around your face beautifully and will reduce often fine lines as there are no shadows anymore to show wrinkles. You don’t want to look fake in the photos on your profile page you want to see the real you.
- Turn in front of the camera : If you sit or stand straight in front of the camera for your new profile image, everyone- not just you- even the slimmest person ever will look a few kilograms more. During your headshot session we will direct you to turn slightly, about 2/3 away from the camera so you are not facing square to the camera. Instead of having our client face square to the camera, we need them to do a 2/3 turn away from the camera. This will give you instantly a slimmer look for your LinkedIn image or better profile photo you will use on other platforms too. Check out this before and after shoot of an example of a better profile photo of Ange- owner of Papertales and Colorfast in Salamander Bay Port Stephens.
What would be your favourite backdrop color, white or black or maybe something different? I am sure you have got some ideas now to create a better profile photo of you.
Return to view all we offer at ME Photography here or view our commercial photography gallery here including pricing for a better profile photo for you. Drop us a line via the contact form if you have a question.
ME Photography is an accredited photography studio, to check out what it means for your business to work with an accredited professional photographer view the website of the Australian Institute of Professional Photography